Wednesday, August 20, 2014

My Grandfather's Work is Doo-Doo!

Are you familiar with the art/life partnership known as Gilbert & George?  They, as Wikipedia might tell you if you wandered over there, are "known for their distinctive and highly formal appearance and manner and also for their brightly colored graphic-style, photo-based artworks."

I would add the word "massive" to the description, since I don't think I've ever seen one smaller than 8'x10'.  Ditto "self-referential", since they seem to crop up in their own shit all the time.

Me?  I think the art is a hoot ...


They've created a veritable cottage industry around painting shit.  I had to google "Gilbert & George turds" to get this one ...

Not my favorite shit painting of theirs, but it gives you an idea.

This is one of their famous ones ...

I bring all this up because the Guardian recently did an interview with them here.  My favorite line is "We said very early on that we never wanted to become the artists that Mother would be ashamed of.  It hasn't worked out exactly like that."

Oh look!  I found the one I was looking for ...

I remember seeing this one at the Sonnabend Gallery (the stuffiest fucking art gallery in the world -- one man's opinion) a number of years ago and remarking to my friend, "Are those cigars?"  "Look at the title," she suggested.  At which point it all started to make sense.

"My grandfather's work is doo-doo."
--Dr. Frederick Frankenstein


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home