Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Boom!

I refer, of course, to Lars Boom.

No longer a relative unknown since he was the winner of today's remarkable Stage Five.  I can honestly say I can't remember a more amazing bike race.  Absolute carnage!  Wet cobblestones; traffic furniture; slippery Belgian concrete roads; big-name guys going down left and right; Chris Froome, the race favorite, hitting the deck so hard so many times that he finally abandoned the Tour.  Unbelievable.

Me?  I'm a bit bummed since I'm a Froome guy.  One now wonders whether the two minutes or so that Vincenzo Nibali has on Alberto Contador will stand up in the mountains.  I'm guessing no, but all sorts of interesting things are happening in this tour, including the likelihood of high finishes for two Americans.  So I'm sanguine.

Did I mention that Boom, like me, rides a Bianchi?  It is our only similarity as bike riders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home