Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Meanwhile...

So I get a note from my buddy Lance, suggesting I paint Steven H. Davis.

Do we know who this man is?  I mean, I do.  Do you?
Is he the annoying guy on ESPN?
No.
Is he that scientist in the wheelchair?
No.
Is he related to Bette Davis?
No.
Is he chairman of embattled law firm Dewey & LeBoeuf?
Bingo.

I don't usually do law firms, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought D&L spoke volumes about the American financial crisis of the last five year.  Formed by merger in 2007 with the notion that bigger is better and with an eye on world dominance; massive debt incurred during that period; wild discrepancy between the money the top partners were making and what rank and file lawyers were getting creates internal dissention; guaranteed contracts to the hi-flyers become unmanageable when business slacks off; austerity program put in place (despite everything we've learned from Ireland) to manage crisis; the whole thing blows up.

Sound familiar?  Somebody should notify Paul Krugman.

The annoying thing about lawyers, as opposed to, say, bankers, is that the only photographs you can find on the interweb are the size of thumbprints.













He seems pleasant enough, in a kind of a milquetoastian way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home