Saturday, December 10, 2011

Moby Duck

When was the last time you read Moby Dick? I'm a third of the way in and it is a bit like tacking into the teeth of a nor'easter. I remain on course however and will report back once I see the great whale himself.

In the meantime, check this out:



A genuine Barnegat Bay Duck Boat. Wow, you don't see those everyday. And let me tell you, when you're eleven years old, they seem a lot bigger. When you're eleven, it feels like how Bruce Springsteen must have felt when he found the secret of the universe in the engine of an old parked car.

The picture, by the way, is dragged from a blog called 829 Southdrive. Check it out if you are looking for some Barnegat Bay slice-of-life photos. I am so jealous.

The reason I bring all this up is that I, as a kid, sailed a duck boat out of the Bay Head Yacht Club. I've done a lot of things since, but I'm not sure any of them were any better than that. Except maybe the day I upgraded to a Sneakbox.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
This is, of course, Rat talking to Mole, presumably about Duck Boats and Sneakboxes.

And the name of my Duck Boat?

Moby Duck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home