Monday, September 26, 2011

Arch West, dead at 97

It's a black enough day, what with the Jets and the Singapore Grand Prix. But now we hear of the passing of a guy named Arch West. He's widely credited with creating Doritos. Oy gevalt.

On a personal note, we all have little ways in which we practice self-destruction. The human experience is often not a happy one. Life at best, I was once told, is 80%. Which means the average must hover in the mid- to low-60s. No wonder we sometimes look for solace in a plastic bag.
You're not talking about drugs, are you?
No. I'm talking about Doritos.

Oh.
To paraphrase Paul Simon, "I do declare there were times when I was so [insert chip-appropriate word here] I took some comfort there." By there, at least speaking for myself, I'm referring to a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos and a thing of onion dip.
Not hookers?
No.

Because I think hookers was the original intent of Simon's lyrics.

I'm talking about chips, man.
And I could have used some during the 4th quarter of the Jets game.



But hey, it could be worse. I could live in Europe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home