Sunday, April 03, 2011

A man walks into a bar...

A man walks into a bar. He sits down and there he is: a man in a bar. The same man walks into a bar with a beautiful woman and suddenly he's a very different person. All of which brings me to the matter of framing The Portrait of the Portrait of Gertrude Stein. Which now looks like this:



Which is a very different look than this:



I apologize for the flash and the slightly rounded contour of the edges of the framed piece, but there you are. The colors, it should be noted, are more realistically rendered on the top one. The bottom one seems too orange to me.

Anyway, the point is that a frame makes quite a bit of difference. It's currently hanging over my bed and looks great.

And did I tell you I sold The Fallen Prince? And The Myth of the Rational Market?

MythRat, as I type, is sitting on an easel in the corner of my living room. It's where I like to put recently finished pieces so I can stare at them and admire, sometimes accompanied by a finger or two of unblended Scotch, the alleged greatness of my art. Putting them on an easel is way easier than hanging them, so that's where it is.

And what, I can't help thinking, happens if the cleaning woman knocks it down or pokes the mop handle through it?

Steve Wynn once put his elbow through this one:



He had to withdraw it from a done sale. How much would that suck? This photo, by the way, was taken of the repaired canvas, so it looks okay. I wonder how it bears up to close inspection.

Me? I think some wear and tear on a painting is good for it. Adds to the charm. Every one of my publicly annotated paintings, for example, has stood, one or more times, on a bare New York sidewalk. The same place where people have spit, or peed, or dropped hot dogs, or crushed out cigarettes.

As regards La Reve, and my penchant for reinterpreting Picassos, I always thought it would be fun to repaint the thing to look like Steve Jobs. Who looks a bit like a penis anyway, so half the work is done for you.

I don't frame the big ones, by the way. But "Portrait..." is only two feet by two and a half. So it works nicely.

1 Comments:

Blogger david1082 said...

Makes me think of a painting of Monet's that he was apparently so unhappy with that he put his foot through it.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home