Friday, March 11, 2011

Ahhh, Krugman

Every once in a while an idea comes along that pushes everything to the side. A friend of mine just suggested I paint Paul Krugman and it was like a light went on. Bingo!

(Which isn't actually the sound a light makes when it goes on. But bingo just the same.)

My original plan for March (what with April being the official start of annotation season) was to craft my A/B/A/B Technique interpretation of Rand Paul titled (since there would be two, mirror images of Paul--thus the term "A/B/A/B") "Are You People Insane?" and "The Annotated Paul". The general thinking is that "Are You People Insane?" would be annotated, over and over again, with the words "Are you people insane?", a la Jack Nicholson's character in The Shining writing an entire manuscript comprised of the repetition of the sentence "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

Moving on, my opening annotation on The Annotated Paul was going to read "Anybody who thinks this looks like Paul McCartney must be insane." Which makes me smile.

I was then going to paint something called "Black Man on Wall Street (American Gothic)", which is too complicated to explain in the middle of a post about Paul Krugman--who's complicated enough--but that was the plan. But suffice it to say BMOWS(AG) was going to be, in part, an homage to Glenn Ligon. Or fromage--whichever isn't the cheese.

Now, everything's Krugman. He's a good looking man.



I don't think that's Paul Krugman.
Of course it isn't. It's Tim Geithner.

Then why's it here?
Great photo of Geithner. Came across it looking for Krugman pics.

Okay. I just didn't want you to paint that thinking it was Krugman.
Do you think I'm an idiot?

You do the math.
Anyway, we're all Krugman, all the time now. Once I finish redoing this:



Painted several years ago, it's called "Lilah S. (Ash Wednesday)." I want to redo the hair and finally give her her ashes. It is, after all, Lent.

1 Comments:

Blogger david1082 said...

"Come on, Mr Geithner, please smile for the camera."

"I am fucking smiling!"

6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home