Saturday, January 26, 2008

There's no crying in baseball

This, of course, is a line from Tom Hanks' character Jimmy Dugan to the at-the-time sobbing player in "A League of Their Own" played by Bitty Schram (most recently of "Monk," a show I don't watch). Have you seen pictures of Hanks' son, currently appearing or getting ready to appear in a movie of his own? Kind of fun.

Jimmy Dugan also says, approximately:
It's supposed to be hard. If it were easy, everybody would do it. The hard is what makes it great!
A reference, I believe, to hitting maybe 40 home runs in a season but which could just as easily be applied to painting portraits. I mean really, who wouldn't want to do this if they just could? It's the difficulty of the thing that keeps the throngs away, as near as I can tell.
Maybe it's the toll at the Throngs Neck Bridge.
Ha. If you don't mind, I'll do the humor.
Okay. Just taking a shot.
All by way of saying that my total and utter failure to render Erin Burnett in: a) a recognizable manner or, alternatively, b) a compelling one, must simply be shrugged off with the understanding that for every home run there are any number of fly-outs to third or strike-outs.

There is, as we say, no crying in the studio.

You think this shit is easy?



Simplicity, by the way, is the key to being really complicated. The king of that would, of course, be Matisse.

Quick Note: Just because Big Erin I was a disaster doesn't mean I'm not hard at work on Big Erin 2. Just for the record.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home