Monday, January 14, 2008

Subject/verb agreement

Close readers will recognize a causal relationship between the time a post goes up (and, sometimes, the nature of the event being posted about) and the general quality of grammar in the post.

A specific example is last night's post about going bananas at the PMC after the Giant game in which appears the following:
My interest in LSU is recent and the depths of my fervor is, as yet, to be determined.
I apologize. Upon reflection, I would have used the singular "depth" instead of "depths." Second, I certainly would not suggest that "depths...is" represents good, clean English.

I apologize again. Given my whole-hearted participation in the going-bananas business, and everything that entailed, it's a miracle I even posted anything, much less something at least partially cogent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home